I was speaking with a girlfriend of the other day on Facebook and she admitted to being in the I Hate Valentine’s Day Club (I blogged about that HERE). I could not fathom that she was not a lover of Valentine’s Day; she is beautiful, smart, and also a woman that attracts a lot of men. I thought a day like Valentine’s Day would bring out all of her suitors, but she told me that she spends most Valentine’s Days each year alone feeling deprived.
It got me to thinking: How does one have a Valentine’s Day that doesn’t suck?
I came up with following five rules that, if followed correctly, will ensure a successful Valentine’s Day:
- No date? A fun Valentine’s Day doesn’t mean it has be spent with a date or with the opposite sex. Make it a girls night out! Plan an elaborate evening on the town with dinner, dancing, club hopping, maybe even attending a comedy show of some sort. Get a group of girls and let the good times roll! Don’t stay inside pouting when you could be spending time with your BFF’s. Don’t want to spend the day with the girls? Go out on your own and have a good time. Dine in your favorite restaurant, go see a movie. Do YOU!
- Make it a spa day. Nothing is better (well almost nothing) than having a relaxing spa experience at your favorite day spa or retreat. Get a massage, pedicure, and facial. One of the best gifts you can give yourself is a day of pampering. Book your retreat NOW!
- Send Valentine’s cards. Yes, even if you don’t have a Boo or you are taking a break from dating, it still doesn’t mean you have to sit out V-Day. Make a list of your favorite Valentines and send a cute card out to them. Remember, a Valentine doesn’t have to just be a lover. It can be a friend, associate, cutie pie that you flirt with in the office next door. Keep it fun and festive and don’t let the love quotient get you down.
- Break up with your no-good boyfriend. Why bring in yet another Valentine’s Day in which you are miserable and unhappy? Cut that zero and drop that baggage hun! A Valentine’s Day alone doing the above mentioned activities is better than being with a scum boyfriend who can’t make you happy. Do yourself a favor and let him go BEFORE the holiday.
- If you insist on staying in, make it a fun night at home. Instead of hating the day and all that it represents, spend time doing what the holiday calls for. LOVE yourself! Rent some movies and veg out in front of the television. Make some healthy snacks and devour. Catch up on a good book, BLOG. Do something constructive other than hating the day for lovers. Love yourself and keep it positive, no matter the day.
There is no need to hate Valentine’s Day, especially when you have the aforementioned five rules to make your day special. Just because you are single or alone, doesn’t mean Valentine’s Day has to be boring.
How will you be spending your Valentine’s Day?