Guest Blog Written By: Danyel Buie, Event Planner Extraordinaire
On a day reserved for the remembrance of our patriotic heroes who sacrificed their lives for our freedom, a patriotic celebration is the way to go. Here are some ideas to help get you started:
- Red, White and Blue isn’t just for the 4th of July anymore! This color theme helps us remember our veterans and there’s no symbol more fitting than the American flag. Flags are now designed to be placed specifically on decks, picnic tables and even in your yard. Remember if you choose to fly an American flag, it must fly at half-mast until the noon hour on Memorial Day in your time zone.
- Another great way to carry the patriotic theme and color scheme is through balloons, flowers, tableware ( Red, white, and blue paper plates, plastic utensils, napkins, cups, etc.) and décor. Don’t forget the confetti!
- Lighting is a must for any celebration-Strands of red, white and blue fairy lights in trees and bushes around your party area will make for a cool evening glow as the sun goes down.
- Use foods that keep in the theme of Memorial Day. Red and white colored Jell-o, cupcakes, cookies, etc. make the environment festive and fun!
- Keep the mood celebratory with patriotic music. Songs like My Country Tis of Thee, The Star Spangled Banner, This Land is Your Land, and others get everyone in a celebratory spirit. You can use an iPod or laptop to play the music inside the house or on the patio or entertaining area.
- Have a table set up the kids who are attending with paper, and red, white, and blue paint or finger paints. Let the kids make their own flags or other patriotic artwork and display them hanging on a clothes line or in a special drying area. It makes for great scenery, and the kids have plenty of fun!
No matter how you choose to spend your Memorial Day weekend, enjoy the time with friends and family and have fun making memories that will last for years to come.
Happy Memorial Day!