On Friday, October 26th, the world was finally able to get their hands on 2 highly lauded products from Microsoft. The first being Windows 8 and the 2nd being their Surface tablet, which is supposed to change the game of the way tablets perform. I was invited to the opening of the new holiday Microsoft Pop-Up Store located in the Saint Louis Galleria, and was excited to get to try out the Surface tablet for myself.
As an iPad owner, I have enjoyed the userbility of the tablet, especially on the go. But I am not a brand loyalist, and will try other tablets to see how they measure against it. I am a firm believer that if something works well and efficiently, I will purchase it, no matter the brand. With technology, I keep my mind open.
These are the features I liked most about the Surface tablet:
- The ability to produce documents on the tablet using the already installed Microsoft Office Suite with Word, Excel, and Power Point.
- The ability to multi-task by having different windows or tiles opened or pinned.
- The screen size is great real estate and is longer than the iPad.
- 2 wifi cards give you more power to surf the web and work online.
- Long battery life (according to one of the reps, you can watch 5- 2 hour movies on the Surface tablet before the charge will go out).
- Lightweight and sleep design. Feels good to use in my hand.
- Built in kickstand to hold up the tablet (no need to buy an accessory for it, since it comes standard on all Surface tablets).
- The ability to write (yes use your finger) on the screen to write and take notes (which will then be transcribed and changed to typed words on the screen).
I can say that I was pretty impressed with Microsoft’s offerings with the Surface tablet.
Below is a demo featuring Steven from the Microsoft Store showing me a few features of the Surface tablet:
hubby’s so excited about this but waiting on the pro version w/ full operating system
The Cubicle Chick says
Glamazini, I believe the one shown is the full version with the Windows 8 OS with Microsoft Office. 🙂