It’s almost that time of the year when we evaluate what we have done thus far, adjust, and make changes so we don’t repeat the same mistakes in the new year. If you are anything like me, last December or January, you created a vision board to manifest your goals and dreams for what you wanted to accomplish. Perhaps many of the things you did personally or career wise was right on target, or maybe you started of strong and faltered. Whatever the case, your motivation should be to move forward to try to make improvements in many areas of your life. Your career is one area that is MAJOR. But before you can plan for next year, you have to assess this year and your professional accomplishments.
What did 2012 teach you career wise?
For me, I followed my business plan and vision board almost to a tee. But there were some areas that I didn’t go as hard as I could have, either out of fear or out of lack of commitment. I am hoping to address those issues and concerns and leave them in 2012, as I don’t want to move that type of anchor and weight into the new year.
This is the perfect time for a Career Assessment and Evaluation. In doing so, you must answer these questions:
- Am I happy with my career?
- Am I professionally where I planned to be this time last year?
- Does my career or profession give me enjoyment and fulfillment?
- Does my career allow me to take care of all of my responsibilities financially?
- Am I stuck in a career rut?
- 10 years from now, do I want to be doing what I am doing now? If not, what is it I want to do? What steps do I need to take to begin transitioning?
- Am I being compensated adequately for my work?
- Do I like working with my colleagues or coworkers?
- Am I working for the company I want to retire with?
- If I wasn’t working at _________, what would I be doing? Where would I be?
- Does my career bring me stress?
- Does my career allow me personal time and a life outside of work?
- Do I feel positively challenged in my career?
- Do I know what my career goals are for the next year? If so, what?
- What goals did I not reach this year professionally that I wanted to reach?
- Do I have a good working relationship with my peers and boss?
- Do I like the career field that I am in?
Answering these questions can really help you focus on your goals and your next plan of action. Your answers will reveal a lot about you, even if the questions look simple enough. In those answers, you may find that your career is giving you more fulfillment than you thought. Or, you may find that there are some changes that you may need to make professionally to give you joy.
I hope completing this 2012 Career Evaluation and Assessment will help you see what is next for you. And while you are at it, you may want to get started on your Vision Board. If you aren’t sure what a Vision Board is, or you need more information, click HERE.
2013 is almost here! Put your plan into motion and SHINE!