Written By: DIY & Craft Contributor, Katie Femia
Did you know that March 2nd is the birthday of beloved children’s author Dr. Seuss?
This year, why not celebrate the birthday of the man who brought us The Cat in the Hat, Green Eggs and Ham, and so many other silly and fun children’s books? In fact, these Cat in the Hat snack hats are the perfect treat to create with your kiddos for this fun and special occasion!
The tall, red and white striped hat worn by the Cat in the Hat is recognized by everyone, and with this activity, you will get to make your own edible cat hat! The best part is, these only require a few items you might already have around the house, so it is not only a fun and education craft, it is a frugal one as well!
So gather your kiddos, gather you supplies, and get ready for some Dr. Seuss themed fun!
Red Gummy Savers (or hard Life Savers)
Oreo cookies (or generic equivalent)
Plastic sandwich baggie
1. First, sort all of the red Gummy Savers out. Allow the kids to do this as it is a great time to practice sorting and classification!
2. Next, remove the top of your Oreo cookie, exposing the cream filling.
3. Fill your sandwich baggie with white frosting and push it to the tip. Snip the tip of the baggie off to create a piping bag.
4. Put a little frosting on the cream and put your first red candy on it. Pipe some more frosting on the top of the red candy and apply another.
5. Repeat this process creating a white and red pattern, until your hat is stacked high!
Kids can get crazy and stack theirs super duper high, others may choose to be more conservative. Of course, this activity is truly a blast if you enjoy a Dr. Seuss book while you are eating these sweet treats! So dive in, have fun, and celebrate this wonderful author as a family!
Want some more Dr. Seuss books and activities to enjoy? Try these:
- One Fish Two Fish: Have children sort out rainbow cracker goldfish and enjoy!
- The Foot Book: Have children trace their feet on paper and decorate!
- Green Eggs and Ham: Make deviled eggs, adding green food color and diced ham to the filling!
- Oh The Places You’ll Go: Examine a map and chart out the places you’d like to go!
- Fox in Socks: Put socks on your favorite stuffed animals!
- The Lorax: Make a list of ways to save the planet and plant a tree yourself!
- Horton Hears a Who: Make your own little “who” and glue to a cotton ball!
Photo credit: Katie Femia