Written By: Katie Femia, DIY & Craft Contributor
April showers bring lots of wetness and rainy days that may keep kids holed up indoors. But that is no excuse not to get your crafting on! Here is a fun and frugal rainy day DIY that focuses on the beauty of the wet and rainy month of April!
A DIY Cupcake Cup Umbrella is just as sweet and fun as it sounds. A few simple supplies is all you need to get kids going on this rainy day project. You can’t have rain without umbrellas, right? So whip up some mini umbrellas of your own to display proudly around the house. When you are ready to get started, here is what you will need!
DIY Cupcake Cup Umbrellas:
Some paint or markers
I was able to find all of these supplies at my local dollar store! Bingo Blotters are the bottles of ink that bingo players blot their numbers with. These are perfect for creating “raindrops” so grab a bottle of this for sure! Everything else you may already have around the house, so be sure to peek! Don’t you love when a craft costs just pennies to make?
1. Start by having your child paint or decorate the cupcake liners with markers.
2. While they do that cut out some raindrops out of the blue paper or allow an older child to do this step.
3. Add some glue dots to the paper.
4. Add your rain drops (paper ones or use your blotter!)
5. This is a great point in the activity to ask questions such as “Where does rain come from?” or even “Do you like the rain?” It is fun to get kids talking while they craft and explore.
6. Fold the cupcake liners in half or cut.
7. Bend and added the pipe cleaners to the cup with tape.
8. Add more glue for your umbrellas.
9. Add the umbrellas and let dry.
That’s it! Display your pictures proudly on your fridge or mantel, or give as a gift to a grandparent or neighbor. This craft is a great way to not only create a sweet spring time decoration, but to talk to your child about the changing weather and what they can look forward to in spring.
Allow children to enjoy a snack in their leftover cupcake cups, make mini umbrellas to adorn your household plants with, or save them for sorting activities later on. You will find that all of the supplies used in this project can be saved and used in other projects as well, making fun AND frugal, which everyone loves.
Welcome April showers with this fun umbrella cupcake cup craft! It is perfect for little hands and is an educational activity the whole family is sure to enjoy!
While you are at it, here is a fun spring rain poem to enjoy with your children!
Five Little Raindrops:
Five little raindrops plopping on the floor,
one plopped away, and then there were four.
Four little raindrops dripping on the trees,
one dripped away, and then there were three.
Three little raindrops splashing on my shoe,
one splashed away, and then there were two.
Two little raindrops starting to run,
one ran off, and then there was one.
One little raindrop drying in the sun,
it dried all up, and then there were none!