A few weeks ago, my five year old and fifteen year old were both stuck at home for two days because their school was closed due to snow. In order to keep them active and not in front of the television the whole time, I came up with some interesting projects and activities a few years ago to keep them occupied without too much television watching.
Here are a few ideas you also can use to get the brains stimulated during these off days:
- Family Game Day- We actually have these about once every four or five months in my house. You basically break out all of the board and card games and get your game on. We played Connect Four, Uno, and Monopoly. And while my 5 year old had a little trouble playing Monopoly, she enjoyed being the banker and having control of the money. Game day keeps everyone occupied while having fun and my kids really enjoy it! We have also added the Wii in this mix as well.
- Movie time- My kids and I are movie buffs so on off days, we break out the DVDs, make some microwave popcorn, and play movies. We watched Cars, Spy Kids 2, and Spiderman 3 this last time, and when they were over, we critiqued each film.
- Cooking Tutorials- We usually invent recipes with what we already have in the house, which is kind of fun because most of the time, I don’t have all the necessary ingredients to make things. The kids learn to use what we have in order to make a meal and seem to have fun in the process.
- Salvation Army- I have the kids go through their items and put into trash bags what they no longer want or cannot fit. When the weather breaks, I take it to the Salvation Army or the Goodwill.
- Road Warrior- I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee with new tires, so its not much for me to get around the area. The major streets and highways are usually clear, so we will pile in the truck and go to the mall and walk around, or to the movies, or something that gets them out and active.
- Snowman & Snow angels- If the weather is not too frigid (and last time it was) we tackle going outside and playing in the snow. My fifteen year old isn’t too keen on this but my five year old loves playing in the snow, no matter the temperature. She makes a pretty mean snowman too.
What are some of activities that your family participate in during snow days? Let me know by using the comment section below.