As the wonderful day that is Black Friday approaches, many of you are already formulating your gameplans on how to tackle the day. Sure to be a hectic time, Black Friday can make even the most seasoned and professional shopper cringe. I consider myself somewhat of an expert when it comes to shopping on this magnificent bargain shopping day, so I thought I would share my tips with you on how to make the most out of your Black Friday shopping experience. If you have any additional tips that I missed or that you feel should be added to this list, please feel free to leave a comment and I will add it to the article (and of course give you credit)
Here’s to happy shopping!
- Make sure that you have a gameplan in order and have reviewed all sales and doorbusters- There will be so much chaos and confusion that being organized will make you and effective shopper and also will allow you to take advantage of the steep markdowns. Your city’s Thursday paper will have all of the circulars from most of the major retailers so you know what they are offering. Make sure you go through the paper the night before. Also make sure you check out FatWallet, who has a very comprehensive list of Black Friday sales. Keep the circulars with you just in case there is a discrepancy with the price or doorbuster.
- Know the store hours and open times- There is nothing worse than arriving to a store and realizing you missed the doorbuster or that the item you want is no longer available. Make sure you know what times the stores are opening. Some of the times vary by region, so if you need to, call the store in your area the day before to verify the opening time.
- Shop on a full stomach- Make sure you have at least eaten a small meal before venturing out into the shopping madness. If you aren’t hungry, you will be able to concentrate on the sales and less on your growling tummy. You will also have the appropriate amount of energy to shop!
- Wear comfortable footwear and clothes-We all want to be fashionistas but do so comfortably during Black Friday. With all of the walking you will be doing, you don’t want to be stuck out in the shopping influx with sore feet. Wear a nice pair of broken in jeans and athletic footwear or comfortable boots that will allow you to focus on what’s important and that is getting more bang for your buck and you won’t mind the long lines or the standing much.
- Leave the kids at home- I am a mother of two, so don’t quote me as being heartless but in the fray, kids shouldn’t be involved. Have a sitter, a relative, or the other half on hand to handle the kids for the day while you shop!
- Know your budget- Have a budget in mind and stick to it. I withdraw the right amount of cash I need from the bank the day before and once I have depleted my stash, I stop shopping. My credit cards stay at home so that I don’t overspend.
- Shop with those with like minds. When shopping on Black Friday, go with someone you are familiar with. Shopping on this day can be stressful and its not a good day to break in a new friendship.
- Make it fun- Like I mentioned before, go with someone who you get along with and who you could have a good time with. When standing in lines, you want to be able to enjoy yourself. If shopping alone (and I do not suggest you do this but this may be an option for you), bring a good paperback book that can fit in your coat pocket or a magazine that you haven’t read.
- Safety first- I suggest not bringing a large purse with you but a small purse or wristlet that has your essentials. Watch your surroundings and have your cellphone. If you see suspicious activity, report it immediately.
- Keep your receipts- Get gift receipts if you need to. If you have coupons, have them readily available so you aren’t holding up the line.
Need a Black Friday app for your iPhone? Click here for a fabulous one found on FatWallet.com
Thanks for these tips..I needed them and the website!
Zack Kitzmiller says
Thank you. Great Tips, and I want a shirt 🙂
Thanks for stopping by and yes, you get a shirt! email me at email@example.com with your mailing address so I can hook you up!
Oh this is so great! I do not do a lot of shopping because my feet get so so so sore. I just know that I need to pack up my Topricin foot cream and slather it on for a fun day!! WOO HOO!!