When I began blogging via my personal blog in 2008, I thought I was going to take the world by storm. In the two years before, I had seen various Internet friends turn into blogging stars by writing on their sites. I thought since I was a valid writer, I too would be able to reap the benefits quickly. Little did I know, blogging is not about who writes the best or who has the most creative blog graphics wise. True bloggers who have made it have had to be patient.
I am not the most patient person in the world, but I understand that with the saturation of blogs on the Internet, it may take some time for my blog to become recognized. A true blogger must understand that it takes a lot of hard work and dedication, and with that comes the need for patience. In order to grow your blog and cultivate your craft, being consistent while taking your time is most necessary.
There is no “secret pill” you can take to make your blog a success. There are plenty of bloggers who are successful by trial and error, making mistakes and learning from them and not repeating them. Being patient is the key to longevity as a blogger.
- Think about your target audience first and numbers and analytics second. If you please your audience with your blog, they will be more apt to spread the word about you, thus increasing your page views.
- It’s not about the speed in which you rise, it is about the content. Good content triumphs as a blogger. Good content ensures readerships and link backs which increases traffic, and thus your blog’s ranking.
- Speak to other bloggers who are successful or that you are comfortable reaching out to and ask them how long it took them to become a top notch blogger. Research other blogs to study their rise. You will see that most were not successful overnight.
- Successful blogging takes consistency, passion and drive, and patience. If you do not have these attributes, you may need to work on these skills before creating a blog.
- Be honest with yourself and about your strengths and weaknesses. Work on perfecting your weak spots and promote your strengths and use them to your advantage.
- In blogging, consistency and patience go hand-in-hand.
I too, have my days where I feel that I am not getting moving where my blog is concerned, but I continue to look at the overall big picture and not just at the temporary view in front of me. I hope these tips help you in your blogging endeavor.