My “Little Blog That Could” The Cubicle Chick turns 13 years old today!
Back in 2009 while I was at work (in my office and not a cubicle, but I digress), I came up with the idea to start a blog. At first, I was going to call it Brown Skin Spin and I planned to have several of my friends write and create content for it. It was going to be a lifestyle blog for women of color. After that idea sat dormant for a while, I got another idea.
What about a blog that I could update daily that focused on the busy life of a working mom of two? I wouldn’t have to depend on others for the content and it could help me build a personal brand. Hey, maybe I could make enough money to pay for my hosting each month.
Enter TheCubicleChick.com–which I launched on August 13, 2009. The goal then was to try and monetize it by making $100 a month. Yes, that was my goal in the beginning.
Here I am 13 years later, and after six blog redesigns and a few rebranding shifts, I am still The Cubicle Chick and I am still posting content.
So much has changed, and yet so much as stayed the same. At its height, my blog made over six figures a year. Because of TheCubicleChick.com, I’ve been featured in a television commercial, appeared on numerous morning shows on local television and in Georgia, traveled far and wide as a blogging ambassador for brands like Toyota, Kia, Southwest Airlines, Amtrak, Verizon, AT&T, Time to Play, Hampton by Hilton, and more.
I’ve been able to do so many things that I never dreamed of and realized my potential in so many ways.
Here are a few tidbits I’d like to share about my blog:
- My first sponsored blog post was with Walgreens
- My first ad check from Glam Media was $157.09 in 2010
- I have over 2,847 published blog posts and counting
- I’ve changed hosting companies three times in 13 years
- I’ve been hacked twice
- When I started my blog, my son was 15 and my daughter was 5. Now they are both 28 and 18
- I blogged full-time from 2010 to 2018 and had no other job
- My first mention was on CNN.com regarding the movie ‘The Blind Side’
- I’ve been featured in Glamour Magazine
- My first TV appearance was in 2011
- I shot my first paid TV commercial in 2013
- I’ve had 125 posts that have gone viral and shut-down my blog because of traffic
- My blog existed before Instagram, Snapchat, or TikTok
- The Cubicle Chick was my second blog. The first one was called Make Blog Not War and it was popular as well
- I was a part of ABC News’ 2012 Election Day coverage
- Twitter helped grow my blog and still is one of my highest referrers
- I turned down an appearance on The Anderson Cooper Show and a free trip to NYC (remember that?) because they wanted to have me out there looking crazy
Blogging has changed so much since I began, but alas, I am still here. I’m also still managing to make a nice side income with it as well which is a blessing because it is harder to do so these days.
Happy Blogaversary to me! Here’s to many more!