My “Little Blog That Could” The Cubicle Chick turns 13 years old today!
Back in 2009 while I was at work (in my office and not a cubicle, but I digress), I came up with the idea to start a blog. At first, I was going to call it Brown Skin Spin and I planned to have several of my friends write and create content for it. It was going to be a lifestyle blog for women of color. After that idea sat dormant for a while, I got another idea.
What about a blog that I could update daily that focused on the busy life of a working mom of two? I wouldn’t have to depend on others for the content and it could help me build a personal brand. Hey, maybe I could make enough money to pay for my hosting each month.
Enter TheCubicleChick.com–which I launched on August 13, 2009. The goal then was to try and monetize it by making $100 a month. Yes, that was my goal in the beginning.
Here I am 13 years later, and after six blog redesigns and a few rebranding shifts, I am still The Cubicle Chick and I am still posting content.
So much has changed, and yet so much as stayed the same. At its height, my blog made over six figures a year. Because of TheCubicleChick.com, I’ve been featured in a television commercial, appeared on numerous morning shows on local television and in Georgia, traveled far and wide as a blogging ambassador for brands like Toyota, Kia, Southwest Airlines, Amtrak, Verizon, AT&T, Time to Play, Hampton by Hilton, and more.
I’ve been able to do so many things that I never dreamed of and realized my potential in so many ways.
Here are a few tidbits I’d like to share about my blog:
- My first sponsored blog post was with Walgreens
- My first ad check from Glam Media was $157.09 in 2010
- I have over 2,847 published blog posts and counting
- I’ve changed hosting companies three times in 13 years
- I’ve been hacked twice
- When I started my blog, my son was 15 and my daughter was 5. Now they are both 28 and 18
- I blogged full-time from 2010 to 2018 and had no other job
- My first mention was on CNN.com regarding the movie ‘The Blind Side’
- I’ve been featured in Glamour Magazine
- My first TV appearance was in 2011
- I shot my first paid TV commercial in 2013
- I’ve had 125 posts that have gone viral and shut-down my blog because of traffic
- My blog existed before Instagram, Snapchat, or TikTok
- The Cubicle Chick was my second blog. The first one was called Make Blog Not War and it was popular as well
- I was a part of ABC News’ 2012 Election Day coverage
- Twitter helped grow my blog and still is one of my highest referrers
- I turned down an appearance on The Anderson Cooper Show and a free trip to NYC (remember that?) because they wanted to have me out there looking crazy
Blogging has changed so much since I began, but alas, I am still here. I’m also still managing to make a nice side income with it as well which is a blessing because it is harder to do so these days.
Happy Blogaversary to me! Here’s to many more!
Happy Blogiversary!! You have accomplished so much!! Congrats!!
The Cubicle Chick says
Thank you! I feel like I am in great company since you also began in 2009. Here’s to 13 more years!
Toya Tenice says
Happy Blogaversary! Wishing you nothing but continued success! ❤❤
The Cubicle Chick says
Thank you so much 🙂