Each month, you can count on me to post at least one blog entry related to diabetes and tips on living healthy with the disease. As you may have read before on TCC, my father has been living with diabetes for several years and I was also afflicted with gestational diabetes myself when I was pregnant with my two children. I understand this disease and its effects, so I am committed to using my blog as a sounding board to teach, learn, and grow where this topic is concerned.
As you know, aside from potentially raising health health insurance rates, diabetes effects your blood sugar and the way your pancreas utilizes it. In order to live with diabetes, you are placed on a diet that restricts sugars and carbs, which can make eating out difficult. I have compiled a small list of chains that are located in most cities that I believe are diabetic friendly and offers many food choices for those living with the disease.
- Sweet Tomatoes- This well-known chain has been in business for many years and offers an array of healthy foods in a buffet style setting. You won’t find anything fried in this restaurant. There is a vast salad bar with plenty of vegetables and great fixings, vegetarian chili, sugar free desserts and much more. As long as you stay away from the breads and pastas offered and load up on the salad, soups, and chili, you will leave the bar satisfied and content. Make sure not to take more than two trips to the bar, load up on water with lemon and drink a full glass before eating so you will get full faster. Do not use dressings loaded in fat or sugars and watch the fixings that you put on your salad.
- Houlihan’s- Another chain that offers many options for diabetic sufferers. I recommend the beef prime sirloin which comes with vegetables and a salad which is great for the diabetic diet. Again, stay away from the potatoes and heavy carb items. Instead of drinking a diet soda, choose the ice tea unsweetened and use Splenda to sweeten.
- Crazy Bowls and Wraps- Made with the freshest ingredients and w/ limited carbs, their bowls and pitas are filling, made with whole wheat, and great for the diabetic diet. CBW also offers salads with low fat dressing and smoothies that are made with limited sugar products. My favorite meal is the veggie wrap with feta cheese. Stay away from the noodle bowls. Pasta and noodles are a no-no for a diabetic diet.
- Panera Bread- Panera Bread is a bread lovers paradise but they also offer a healthy menu that is perfect for the diabetic diet. With salads like the Mediterranean Salmon salad offered with a low fat vinaigrette, it is filling and yummy to boot. Tomato soup is also a good option as well and Panera also offers wraps which are filling and made with great ingredients. Stay away from the pastries and desserts and high carb breads. (Some Panera Breads do offer sugar free treats)
- Kobe Steak House- Beef , chicken, and seafood are great options for the diabetic diet and it they are lean and prepared properly, are healthy too. Kobe cooks every thing right in front of you with veggies and rice (use the rice sparingly) and is seasoned to perfection. They offer broth with your meal as well and you will not leave hungry, that is for sure! Again, make sure to drink water with lemon with your meal.
Do you have a restaurant that you would like to add to this list that is diabetic friendly? Any other tips for diabetics who like to eat out? Comment below!