I am committed to living a “greener” lifestyle. Not just at home, but in the workplace and everywhere that I spend my time. We only have one planet. It’s been abused enough!
Here are a few tips you can use in your office or business to make it a more eco-friendly work environment. Submitting to these changes, either large or small, makes a great impact on our world.
- Recycle, Reuse- Recycling paper, plastics, and other reusable items in your office goes a long way. If you print a report and found errors in it, don’t be so fast to throw it away. Use the back as scrap paper and when finished, throw it in the recycle bin. If you do not have recycle bins in your office, speak to your manager or someone in human services. Bins are inexpensive, and most trash companies offer recycle pick-up service at no charge. When purchasing paper for the office, buy paper that is made from recycled materials.
- Stop Using the Plastic- Bring a set of silverware and eating materials such as plates and bowls from your home. When you are finished with lunch, wash the plates and store them in your cubicle if you have sticky fingers in your office. Using your own mugs, silverware and regular plates and bowls instead of plastic wear, paper cups, and paper plates will go far in helping the environment and minimize waste.
- Refills Please- Refillable pens and pencils cut down on waste and are better for the planet. Instead of throwing away countless pens once you are finished, use a refill!
- Electronic communication- Sending out a memo? Use the computer and email it. Why print 100 memos on paper when you can send it electronically in seconds? Offices use too much paper, in my opinion, and we don’t utilize paperless methods as much as it should. Promote a paperless office and use e-mail and other electronic devices to communicate.
- Turn ‘Em Off- When you are not in the office, turn off your lights. Why have a lighted office when no one is home? Also, at the end of the night, shut down your computer completely to save energy. Unplug other electronic devices that are not in use. It may take a little longer to leave in the evening but the planet will thank you!
These are just a few ways you can make your office more eco-friendly. A greener office makes for a better planet. Do you have any “green” tips for the office?