Written by Fly11, Fashion Chick, The Cubicle Chick.com Style Contributor
While the jump in the heat index during the summer months ensures we are hot in the literal sense, it takes a little fashion knowledge to raise temps in the figurative sense. ‘Tis true that a little goes a long way. With the five simple Summer 2012 Trend secrets in this post, you can build an entire summer wardrobe that is guaranteed to turn heads. Let’s face it, we may not all work in fashion but we do all have to march into a store some day and face the daunting task of what to put on our bodies…boy Adam and Eve had it easy (damn serpent!). Try out some of the trends listed below this summer and watch the heat rise on your style index!
1. Snakeskin Shoes: animal print is a classically revered favorite of the fashion
world but periodically one particular animal gets more attention than the others; this season that animal is the SNAKE *hiss*. I’ve seen snakeskin print in a variety of bold and bright colors, including yellows. I’ve also seen this print available in a color blocking pattern. Whenever you see a trend available in a variety of different ways, it’s a sure sign that the heat is ON for that style! Here’s another tip, ankle straps are back in action. When I say ankle straps, think the simply one strap mary jane style (but around the ankle instead of the foot), not the winding road straps we loved years ago..simple is better.
2. Mint Green: colors are very important and they tell a story about how in tune
you are with your environment, thus you ALWAYS want to reflect the season’s trendy colors in your wardrobe. The season’s top color is of most importance and this Summer 2012, the top of the color chain is :MINT GREEN…hmmm could this be why I’ve been drawn to wearing the “mint apple” nail polish I bought for two months now? Feel free to incorporate the “IT” color for the season in whichever way makes the most sense to you. For me right now, I love how it looks on my nails…I may never venture into buying clothing of this shade but having it in my look somewhere is keeping me on trend.
3. Floral Prints: this particular trend has been a darling for us quite a few years now giving way to the romanticism beautiful weather tends to bring. I’ve said all that to say, florals are still in fashionizers!! However, the industry has gotten picky about the TYPE of floral print you choose and they are using this little unwritten rule to judge the masses (get your cliffnotes!). Aim for smaller flowers in your print and steer clear of graphic or ethereal looking floral prints.
4. Floppy Hats: large oversized and wwaavvyy hats are still ruling the summer season. Don’t limit yourself to only straw material; try a few in cotton. This trend is great for mixing with color blocking. With floppy hats being popular for several consecutive years, designers have invested in creating multiple style options. I’ve become a huge fan of the two-toned floppy hat and the personality it adds to my look.
5. Lace: this particular trend has also seen several years of traction as it exploded onto the scene back in late 2009. This trend mixes well with the floral print craze. Lace tends to come in a floral pattern but be sure to pay close attention to the sixe of the flowers in the pattern you are choose as mentioned above. There are no particular rules for this trend but in my experience wearing lace is easier to do with a dress. I only own one lace dress to date; however it is absolutely my go to when I want to feel the triple effect of sex appeal, class, and style blended into one.
Painless huh? Notice how I blended all the trends together in the outfit above…you can do it too :)! What trends have you noticed this summer? What trends are you ready to say goodbye to for this summer?
Dee Dee says
Definitely feeling those trends. I have yet to try the mint green trend on my nails but I think that’ll be coming up pretty soon. And those Lanvin wedges *swoon* I just love me a fabulous wedge! THE summer shoe in my opinion 🙂
I’ve definitely noticed the snakeskin shoe trend as well as summer staples like the maxi dress and big, floppy hats.
The Cubicle Chick says
Dee Dee, thanks for commenting. Fly11 always is on point with her selections. Essie has a dope mint green color I saw a few months ago. Can’t remember the name, but I am going to find it and try out the color on my nails the next time I get a mani.
Hey Dee Dee ;)! Definitely try the mint green nails, I think you will love it! The color I used in the photo above is made by Sinful Colors and it’s sold at Target for $1.99…yep! $1.99! And it LAST, better than more expensive brands. I like wedges but I think they look best on a woman with a BAD set of legs and um well…I am not she :-/ lol. Thanks for reading chica!
markisha kennedy says
Love your page! Do you know were that cream colored lace dress can be purchased at?
Hey Markisha :)! If you visit my polyvore site ( http://fly11.polyvore.com/ ), it always has a detailed listing of where the items can be found at. That particular dress is available on dorothyperkins.com. Thanks for reading chica!