By Fashion & Stylist Contributor, Karen Curtis, YourStylistKaren.com
Classic fashion never goes out of style. Yes, trends are fabulous, but you also want to make sure that you have timeless staples that are in your wardrobe that you can wear for a long time. With these options, you will always be in style, on trend, and fashion forward.
Here are What 10 Fashion Items Every Woman Should Have In Their Closet:
1. White Button Down-This can be worn to almost any occasion when paired with the right pieces. From work-to a business lunch-to dinner with your girls.
2. Grey Cardigan-This is the perfect casual/comfy piece for anyone on the go. When you add a statement necklace and flats, you have my Spring uniform. Now that Spring is coming it will inevitably get warmer during the day but it will get cool at night. The cardigan can easily be stored in your tote until it gets chilly enough to wear.
3. Oversize Watch- I have come to love wearing an oversize watch. It is the perfect substitute for an entire arm party.
4. Basic T-shirt- I think you should have black, white and a few colors. There are endless possibilities with T-shirts! Choose to layer, throw on a light scarf, add a fancy necklace or maybe a simple pendant to complete the look.
5. Trench Coat-This is a classic piece that transitions well from Fall to Spring for rainy days.
6. Skinny jeans– There is just something about my skinny jeans. They are great in traditional washes as well as colored for the Spring time. The Limited has a wide variety of colors.
7. Strappy Heels-These are from the Prabal Gurung line at Target. I love that they have so many colors they will literally go with anything.
8. Flirty Skirt-I am not normally a skirt kind of girl. However, I don’t always feel like putting on a dress and love the comfort of two pieces. A flirty skirt is the perfect “go to” when you are pressed for time
9. Colorful Tote-Every woman needs a bag big enough to carry around our “necessary” items. This colorful bag can conceal a ton of items and not give a hint as to what it holds.
10. Flats – Flats are perfect for Saturday errands and are more stylist than tennis shoes. In this case, comfort and fashion met in the metallic hue of these cool shoes.
Does your closet contain these basic pieces? If not, now is the perfect time to stock up on pieces that will transition well from one season to the next.
Photo collage credit: Karen Curtis
Lois L. says
Great recommendations! i love the classic white button down shirt.
Thanks, Lois! I got my button down from the Limited. It is part of the Essentials collection!
Great recommendations!! I traded in my skinny jeans for jeggings this spring. I found some great colorful ones at Walmart for only 9.94!!
I can definitely see how you can trade one for another! That is a great deal!
Shekea M. says
I could not agree with you more, Karen! I think I have 9 of the 10 essentials, with a desire to get yet ANOTHER oversize watch and new tote. Now, I think I may need (is that too strong of a word??) some cute strappy sandals as the Spring approaches!
Thanks for stopping by today, Shekea. I think I have a post idea dedicated to Totes. Love them!
Great recommendations Karen! I completely agree!
Thanks, Shakirah! That means a lot coming from such a snazzy dresser.
Ashley Calloway says
Great suggestions! White button downs and basic tees are two of my favorite staples!
I love how these pieces work for anyone at any price point!
Oooh thank you Karen! Looks like I’m missing a few of the essentials…time to stock up!!! 🙂
I need to refresh some of my staples too!
I completely agree with all of your choices! I definitely need to invest in a few of the items that you posted.
Kris Parker says
Awesome post! You reminded me that I need to refresh my white button down…and I’d love to add to my watch collection 🙂
I am a skirt girl and I need this one in my collection! Great tips!
I’m a skirt girl and I definitely need this flirty skirt in my closet. Great tips!
Great suggestions! I have all of them except the watch and colorful tote. Any recommendations for a cute and stylish watch? I don’t usually find any that I like.
Yikes! I have some shopping to do. I totally agree with all of these- unfortunately, I just don’t have them all yet. Thanks for sharing!
great staples! i wanted those prabal gurung heels. very cute