By Fashion & Style Contributor, Karen Curtis, YourStylistKaren.com
As professionals, we often struggle to balance our professional life with our personal life. Running from work to the gym to meet friends for Happy Hour or dinner can seem like a rat race in itself. In order to maximize your time and wardrobe, I have come up with a few “tricks.” The last thing you want to worry about is running home to change when you are ready to let your hair down and enjoy being free from your 9 to 5!
Tips to take you smoothly from your desk to a date:
- Getting dressed. When you get dressed before work, pick a simple piece to be the backdrop for your outfit. The piece(s) should be form fitting but not tight and be easy to layer. Pencil skirts or dresses usually fit the bill for me.
- Be office appropriate. Office cultures vary so add a cardigan or blazer to tie together your office look. Add a thin belt, stockings or camisole and a heel of an appropriate height.
- Carry a Tote. Use a colorful tote to carry your cute heels, a bright clutch or cross-body if that works better for you and if needed a fun jacket or blazer.
- Change Clothes and Go. Shed the “office attire” and store it in your tote. Add accessories like a statement necklace or bold earrings to freshen up the look.
- Head to the ladies room. Use oil blotting sheets, do a quick face by reapplying mascara and lip gloss or a bold lip if you are used to it. Do a quick check and reapply deodorant and/or perfume if needed.
Why not take the time to play in your closet and pick a few good “base” pieces? Take pictures of your most flattering staple pieces and style a “desk” look with it and a “dinner” look with that same piece. This will make it ten times easier to get dressed for work and prep for the after work fun. Check out this video and this one too for more ideas.