Remember the old days when your mom wouldn’t dare serve dinner without dessert at the end? An old school favorite dessert moms used to serve in my day was this Cherry Pistachio Fluff. The reason most moms back in the day loved it so much was it was so simple to make, and when served in little dessert dishes it looked quite fancy. The great thing about this Cherry Pistachio Fluff is it only takes five ingredients to make, all of which are budget friendly and easy to find. Here is how you can make your own Cherry Pistachio Fluff, perfect for a family treat during the holiday season.
1 small box of pistachio pudding
2 cups of cold milk
½ cup of maraschino cherries
1 cup of mini marshmallows
1 1/2 cups of whipped dessert topping
A few notes about ingredients: Use 2% milk to help thicken up your dessert. Skim will not work nearly as well and will thin the mixture out. You can use the rainbow mini marshmallows if you wish to add more color and sweetness to this dish.
1. Mix the two cups of milk and pudding mix well. I love to throw everything into my mixer so I don’t have to do the hard work! You can do the same (use the whisk attachment) or you can simply mix by hand. If you do mix by hand, a whisk can help you get the job done better than a wooden spoon or basic spoon can.
2. Add in the mini marshmallows and whipped dessert topping. Slow down your mixing and slowly fold the ingredients into each other. You don’t want to over mix or shred the marshmallows in any way.
3. Cut the maraschino cherries into halves. This makes them bite sized and they will fit into the fluff much better this way.
4. Fold the cherries into the mixture and stir one last time. Don’t worry if they let off some juice and add some red coloring to the mixture. This actually looks quite pretty all swirled through!
5. Cover and place the Cherry Pistachio Fluff in the refrigerator for one hour. It will firm up nicely while still remaining nice and fluffy.
To serve your Cherry Pistachio Fluff, spoon a bit of the mixture into a bowl and top with a cherry. You can also drizzle with more mini marshmallows if you wish. Kids of course love this addition.
This Cherry Pistachio Fluff can be served as “Grinch Fluff” at your holiday parties, or Leprechaun Fluff at St. Patrick’s Day parties and dinners. It even makes a refreshing dessert salad in the hot summer months when you don’t feel like firing up the oven and baking anything. Make it ahead of time for convenience, and it travels nicely as well.
Gather up your ingredients and give this easy and yummy Cherry Pistachio Fluff a try. It is such a sweet and simple dessert you will want to make again and again!