It seems as though spooky owls and the Halloween season go hand in hand. You may notice owl décor in many of the local home décor stores as buyers are scurrying about decorating their homes for the fall holidays. Well instead of spending big bucks on pre-made décor, why not try your hand at making your own? You don’t need to be super crafty to do so, and you don’t even need a great deal of time or money. Take a look below at how to make your own Fabulous Fall Glitter Owl using supplies found at your local Dollar Tree store. It is much easier than you make think and the final product is certainly a hoot!
Fabulous Fall Glitter Owl
Black 5×7 picture frame
10 inch Halloween paper plates
Black owl paper cut outs
Fine craft glitter
Pair of “googly” eyes
If you are unsure where to locate these items in your dollar store, just check out the Halloween décor aisles as well as the crafting supply aisles. They should contain everything you are looking for.
1. First, let’s make the owl. To do this, you want to lay one of the die cut owls found at your local Dollar Tree on a piece of newspaper.
2. Using your finger, spread craft glue over the owl. You want the glue to be thin and even.
3. While the owl is still wet, sprinkle gold crafting glitter on it generously. Make sure you cover it completely.
4. Life the owl from the paper shaking off any extra glitter. Set it aside.
5. Remove the cardboard insert of your frame. You will now use this as your stencil to cut out the background of your picture. To do this, place the cardboard piece over the center of the Halloween paper plate. Trace, then cut.
6. Once your owl is dry, glue in on top of the paper plate cut out. Allow a few extra minutes for all of the pieces to dry.
7. Assemble the frame, placing the paper plate backing and owl back inside. Close the backing up.
8. Using your craft glue, apply google eyes to the eyes of the owl. Remember these will be on the outside of the frame, creating a 3D effect.
That’s it! Now you just need to find a place to display this little piece of art! It is fun, funky, and above all, frugal. So head to your local Dollar Tree and grab all of the fixings for making this sweet and fab fall glitter owl. You are sure to have a hoot of a time!
Written By Katie Femia, DIY & Craft Contributor